Skip to main content

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL



It was raining cats and dogs. I had comfortably settled in my armchair with a book in one hand and a mug of steaming hot tomato soup with crunchy croutons floating on top...all in all a very lethal delightful combo. I was desperately trying to have a mouthful of those before they sank and turned soggy. My mind and eyes were in close contest between keeping a check on that and reading.
I was savouring this moment of bliss and felt that life indeed  is beautiful.
It's uncanny how a thought or feeling triggers off a memory because that's what took me several years back on a rewind spree.
I had got up in the wee hours of the morning, way back in February 1999 to watch the Oscars live. I vividly remember Robert Benigni claiming the coveted trophy for the best actor in the movie " Life is beautiful "
What stood out for me was his spontaneous reaction of sheer childlike joy as he erupted from his seat like a Jack in the box and raced happily, almost comically upstage to receive it, much to the amusement of  the suited booted cream of Hollywood gathered there. It was his moment and he owned it true to the spirit of the movie.
I envied him and the character he portrayed on screen, to be able to own every moment in life, to live it, love it, and conquer it, to convert the ordinary into something extraordinary.
This extraordinary feeling settled somewhere subconsciously in a remote corner of my mind. I aspired to be like that, to not wait for milestones and events, to enjoy the small moments which are right there under our noses waiting to be lifted. I wish I could be like this at all times. If wishes were horses then I don't know about beggars but I would certainly ride.
I have tried that memory to use as a benchmark over the years, sometimes successfully, most often not, to evolve in my own way however limited it maybe, to continuously change with the times and learn something new.
I knew I was on the right path, so near yet so far as there  were miles and miles to go before I hang my boots and call it a day.
With cheer and hope in my heart , I turned my attention to the whodunnit potboiler that I was reading, sitting literally on the edge, enjoying every page, every twist and turn, every moment to reiterate that life indeed is beautiful.


Comments

  1. Very nicely written! So now I know where your daughter got her writing talent from. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx Nita....am enjoying my foray into writing!

      Delete
  2. Hey Kaveri the article has so simply and beautifully conveyed the message of being in the present and relishing every moment, appreciating what comes by, a conscious way of living. It is a reminder to keep practicing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Iran Diary

My  marriage had got fixed to a tall,  handsome, budding architect who was working in Iran. Mine was a typical Maharashtrian arranged marriage; a complete " kaande- pohe " setting, hands trembling behind the curtain before making my grand entry type. I knew therefore that I would be settling in Iran post marriage. Soon after the wedding, he left for Iran and I was to join him a couple of months later as soon as all the formalities were done with, as is the norm. I had just turned twenty-one, young, excited and apprehensive all rolled into one,on the days prior to my departure. I had carried all the stuff  a newly wed would carry to set up the house. Amidst emotional farewells of the entire family who were present in full strength, I boarded the aircraft, took my seat, fastened my seat belt and was all set to fly.  As Mark Twain rightly quoted " the secret of getting ahead was to get started." So here I was on the verge of embarking on a journey unknown. I rememb

THESE WERE A FEW Of MY FAVOURITE THINGS

The movie " Sound of Music" which was released decades back was an out and out entertainer, complete with splendid music, breathtaking locales and ace acting prowess of the ensemble cast who graced the screen. The lyrics of most of the songs have stayed with me over the years. As Julie Andrews prances round the room with a delightful bunch of kids, rendering her list of favourite things, I pressed the pause button and went on a rewind spree with a list of favourite things which I experienced in my growing up years... The wonder years. Answering the doorbell today can be rather tiresome, but back then I used to earnestly answer them, hoping it was the postman delivering letters. My joy would know no bounds if it was addressed to me. There was something magical about handwritten letters, the personal touch exuding warmth, the excitement of going through the contents speedily at first and then reading them over and over again, trying to find a new meaning every time I re-read