Skip to main content

THESE WERE A FEW Of MY FAVOURITE THINGS

The movie " Sound of Music" which was released decades back was an out and out entertainer, complete with splendid music, breathtaking locales and ace acting prowess of the ensemble cast who graced the screen. The lyrics of most of the songs have stayed with me over the years.
As Julie Andrews prances round the room with a delightful bunch of kids, rendering her list of favourite things, I pressed the pause button and went on a rewind spree with a list of favourite things which I experienced in my growing up years... The wonder years.
Answering the doorbell today can be rather tiresome, but back then I used to earnestly answer them, hoping it was the postman delivering letters. My joy would know no bounds if it was addressed to me. There was something magical about handwritten letters, the personal touch exuding warmth, the excitement of going through the contents speedily at first and then reading them over and over again, trying to find a new meaning every time I re-read them. My dad who was posted up north wrote beautiful letters, full of joy, humour, encouragement and hope as if he had put his heart and soul in writing them.
I loved the smell of sweets wafting through the kitchens at the onset of Diwali. Karanjis, sev and laddoos were those delicacies which were made in abundance and adorned the tables only on festive occasions. Maybe my love for cooking stems from there.
I looked forward to the Diwali shopping, a mega event when I trudged along with parents to the local market to select a dress material out of the very few neatly displayed. At a young age I understood the colours, the designs and the combinations. No wonder I became a textile designer at a later date. Anything to do with colours, fabrics and weaves fascinates me to this date.
The joy of being indulgently pampered was complete if I could not make up my mind between selecting one out of the shortlisted two, and buying both, a double whammy of sorts.
Holidays were fun times as I travelled across the length and breadth of the country by trains wherever my dad was posted.Luckily ticket fares were cheap what with getting concessions. I used to be so excited boarding the train, wondering who would be sitting on the opposite berth, would there be children of my age? As the last wheels of the train left the station, I thoroughly enjoyed the journey right up to the destination, leaning back, gazing at the countryside. I guess my sense of optimism may have stemmed from here, to enjoy the journey of life.
I loved attending the wedding receptions. Why? Simply because of the unlimited supply of cassata ice creams dished out and nobody would stop me from having an overdose. I was  one of the esteemed guests ofcourse. Till date I love ice creams in whatever shape, size or flavour.
I was taken out to watch an English movie twice a year in town coupled with a dining out experience.The aura of South Bombay took my breath away. Although at the time I could not completely decipher the language, when the audience laughed, so did I, as if I belonged.
My shy nature in the adolescent years got camouflaged by cousins banter who came over for boisterous weekends where cups of tea and playing cards were the order of the day. I learnt every trick a pack of cards could offer. My date with cards remains steady to this day.

Reading played a very important part in my life. Reading Enid Blyton to begin with guarantees a strong wonderful journey in the  magnificent world of books.
I loved browsing through the stacks of books and comics in this very quaint, tiny library nestled in one of the small by lanes in my vicinity.Joining libraries was easier on the purse strings as against buying books. The fact that the books had to be returned, inculcated a value to use them with care.From classics to comics to the romantic orbit of Mills & Boon, I read them all. Even today I try my best to wriggle in a good read as and when time permits.
I loved the sweet smell of the mud from the first showers of the rain. I looked forward to going to school in the reopening month of June , buying new books, neatly putting the covers on, flicking through pages. The chapters seemed less daunting as study time had yet not started. Donning crisp uniforms and rainy shoes, meeting and backslapping batch mates, each having their own vacation stories to recount. Every voice drowning in the din before the gong went off.
School life was special, growing up with friends, forging long lasting bonds with some of them.
There are so many favourite things clamouring to be mentioned. Some of them are redundant, lost in translation somewhere, but overall they were the feel good factors at various junctures of my life and made me who I am for better or for worse.

Comments

  1. So beautiful! Sound of music and all your favorite things strikes a chord within me too! Especially the English movie and dining out were much treasured those days! Life was so simple and beautiful ..........

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Iran Diary

My  marriage had got fixed to a tall,  handsome, budding architect who was working in Iran. Mine was a typical Maharashtrian arranged marriage; a complete " kaande- pohe " setting, hands trembling behind the curtain before making my grand entry type. I knew therefore that I would be settling in Iran post marriage. Soon after the wedding, he left for Iran and I was to join him a couple of months later as soon as all the formalities were done with, as is the norm. I had just turned twenty-one, young, excited and apprehensive all rolled into one,on the days prior to my departure. I had carried all the stuff  a newly wed would carry to set up the house. Amidst emotional farewells of the entire family who were present in full strength, I boarded the aircraft, took my seat, fastened my seat belt and was all set to fly.  As Mark Twain rightly quoted " the secret of getting ahead was to get started." So here I was on the verge of embarking on a journey unknown. I rememb

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

It was raining cats and dogs. I had comfortably settled in my armchair with a book in one hand and a mug of steaming hot tomato soup with crunchy croutons floating on top...all in all a very lethal delightful combo. I was desperately trying to have a mouthful of those before they sank and turned soggy. My mind and eyes were in close contest between keeping a check on that and reading. I was savouring this moment of bliss and felt that life indeed  is beautiful. It's uncanny how a thought or feeling triggers off a memory because that's what took me several years back on a rewind spree. I had got up in the wee hours of the morning, way back in February 1999 to watch the Oscars live. I vividly remember Robert Benigni claiming the coveted trophy for the best actor in the movie " Life is beautiful " What stood out for me was his spontaneous reaction of sheer childlike joy as he erupted from his seat like a Jack in the box and raced happily, almost comically upstage