Skip to main content

COLLEGE CAPERS



The exhausting traffic snarls take the wind out of you due to which I rarely visit the far flung southern part of the city anymore. It was a random occasion for my journey out there and as my car sped from Victoria Terminus towards Crawford market, my heart skipped a beat as I was passing by the iconic art college where I had studied. It stirred a whole lot of emotions and memories which leaped out of oblivion.
As I peered through the windshield, my eyes fell on the wide gates thru which the distinct promenade and majestic architecture of the prestigious college came into full view.
If one wanted to study art then this was the best college to go to. You had students from all strata of society, right from the elite to the underprivileged.I enjoyed the best of both worlds being in the golden middle. That shaped me into being very comfortable in my own skin and made me believe that it is okay to be or not to be class or brand conscious and go by the adage " to each his own".
I had a whirlwind romance with the college complete with picturesque surroundings and immersed  in the experiences and friendships that enriched me.
Much to our delight, our meagre monthly allowance accommodated two matinee movies, a substandard nail polish; never mind the fact that it got chipped off within hours; and a visit to Badshah cold drink house which was round the corner. We felt regal splurging on the above.
On our study tours to museums and art galleries in South Bombay, we would dart across to Samovar to soak in the ambience and linger over a cup of tea to gawk at the arty crowd in their carefully casual garb making a fashion statement. The walks down Colaba causeway during lunch breaks were the add-on frills to the existing fabric of the college. The roadside wares, the exquisite knickknacks on display were the highlights of window shopping.
Howard Roark was a hero and Ayn Rand a rage to suit our idyllic sensibilities.
The kolhapuri chappals were the mainstay of my college years; close to my heart, close to my heels, the complete thrill of having to take a decision on the roadside, wether to get it polished to a darker hue or to leave it in its existing splendour.
Such simple innocent decisions as against the hard hitting ones one has to take these days.
As I sped past the silhouettes of South Bombay, everything was getting blurred. I was desperate to cling to more glimpses and memories. All the landmarks stood quietly still and I realised wistfully that something was amiss. The kolhapuri chappals don't sit pretty at my feet anymore and along with Samovar, which no longer exists, my youth belonged to the bygone era too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Iran Diary

My  marriage had got fixed to a tall,  handsome, budding architect who was working in Iran. Mine was a typical Maharashtrian arranged marriage; a complete " kaande- pohe " setting, hands trembling behind the curtain before making my grand entry type. I knew therefore that I would be settling in Iran post marriage. Soon after the wedding, he left for Iran and I was to join him a couple of months later as soon as all the formalities were done with, as is the norm. I had just turned twenty-one, young, excited and apprehensive all rolled into one,on the days prior to my departure. I had carried all the stuff  a newly wed would carry to set up the house. Amidst emotional farewells of the entire family who were present in full strength, I boarded the aircraft, took my seat, fastened my seat belt and was all set to fly.  As Mark Twain rightly quoted " the secret of getting ahead was to get started." So here I was on the verge of embarking on a journey unknown. I rememb

LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL

It was raining cats and dogs. I had comfortably settled in my armchair with a book in one hand and a mug of steaming hot tomato soup with crunchy croutons floating on top...all in all a very lethal delightful combo. I was desperately trying to have a mouthful of those before they sank and turned soggy. My mind and eyes were in close contest between keeping a check on that and reading. I was savouring this moment of bliss and felt that life indeed  is beautiful. It's uncanny how a thought or feeling triggers off a memory because that's what took me several years back on a rewind spree. I had got up in the wee hours of the morning, way back in February 1999 to watch the Oscars live. I vividly remember Robert Benigni claiming the coveted trophy for the best actor in the movie " Life is beautiful " What stood out for me was his spontaneous reaction of sheer childlike joy as he erupted from his seat like a Jack in the box and raced happily, almost comically upstage

THESE WERE A FEW Of MY FAVOURITE THINGS

The movie " Sound of Music" which was released decades back was an out and out entertainer, complete with splendid music, breathtaking locales and ace acting prowess of the ensemble cast who graced the screen. The lyrics of most of the songs have stayed with me over the years. As Julie Andrews prances round the room with a delightful bunch of kids, rendering her list of favourite things, I pressed the pause button and went on a rewind spree with a list of favourite things which I experienced in my growing up years... The wonder years. Answering the doorbell today can be rather tiresome, but back then I used to earnestly answer them, hoping it was the postman delivering letters. My joy would know no bounds if it was addressed to me. There was something magical about handwritten letters, the personal touch exuding warmth, the excitement of going through the contents speedily at first and then reading them over and over again, trying to find a new meaning every time I re-read